Friday, February 5, 2010

Amish Baked Oatmeal

So, I know this blog is dinner for dollars.. but today I am all about breakfast for dollars. hehe. I guess you could eat this for dinner if you wanted to. I was going to wait until I got some fresh fruit to photograph this dish because well.. there's just not much to it! Wanted to give it some color.. but it's so yummy, I decided to photograph it when I made it for breakfast this morning. This is more like eating an oatmeal cookie for breakfast than eating plain old oatmeal. It crisps up nicely in the oven giving it a bit of crunch. It is so rich, you probably won't want to add any more sugar to it when it's done. Fresh fruit is super yummy in it though. It's even good reheated for 30 seconds to a 1 minute in the microwave the next day. Yum!

HMP_5748
Amish Baked Oatmeal
(from the taste of home)

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
warm milk
fresh fruit, optional

Combine first 8 ingredients; mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes(I go to 30 minutes, I like it crispy) or until edges are golden brown. Immediately spoon into bowls and add warm milk. Top with fresh fruit if desired.

Yield: 6 servings

A dinner recipe coming soon!

No comments: