Monday, January 18, 2010

Skinny Scalloped Potatoes

I have been wanting to make some yummy scalloped potatoes for a while.. I decided to do it yesterday. Most of the recipes I saw had heavy cream in them and being as it was Sunday and I don't have heavy cream in my fridge, I searched for a recipe that contained stuff I have.. and I found one that has stuff I ALWAYS have on hand. Let me tell you.. IT WAS SO GOOD! I love it! I made mine quite different from the recipe I found. It called for swiss cheese but I used a cheddar/jack mix. Yum! Anyways, I didn't manage to get a photo of it we ate it all! But I thought I would share it anyway, because yeah it was good! I will definitely be adding it to our cook often list. I'm thinking it would be awesome with my Salisbury steak recipe.

Skinny Scalloped Potatoes
Altered from a recipe at allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon basil
2 pounds potatoes scrubbed clean
1-2 cups shredded cheese of your choice.

Preheat oven to 375. Rub oil over 9x13 baking dish. Thoroughly mix broth, milk, flour and basil together in a saucepan, cook over medium-low heat 3-5 minutes or until thickened; set aside. Cut potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices. Place half of the potato slices in overlapping pattern in baking dish. Salt and pepper to taste. Spoon half the broth mixture over the potatoes and half of your cheese. Repeat. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and cheese is slightly brown.


Here is the original recipe from the site.. the skinny comes from it being low in fat.. mine wasn't this low in fat.. I like more cheese and I used 2 % milk. :) But if you want the skinny.. go here.

No comments: