Friday, October 9, 2009

Taco Casserole

I adapted this recipe from my taste of home Best ever casseroles cookbook. It required to packages of taco seasoning, we don't like that stuff in our house so I made some changes to it. It was very tasty, reminded me a little of a tamale. I didn't use the 2-1/2 lbs ground beef that the recipe called for, so I should have halved the biscuit topping. I think I forgot that the recipe called for the 2 1/2 lbs and just figured it was 1 lb like most recipes. Anyway, toddler loved it, hubby loved it, I loved it.. we will be making it again! I am going to put the recipe how I made it except I will half the biscuit part for you.

tacocasserole
Taco Casserole

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 to 3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
salt to taste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper jack cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup biscuit/baking mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, diced
1 can sliced olives, drained.

In a large skillet cook beef and onions until meat is no longer pink, drain. Add garlic and continue to saute for 1 minute. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beans

Spoon mixture into a greased 8-in square baking dish. Sprinkle with Monterey jack cheese. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk and biscuit mix until moistened. Pour over cheese.

Bake uncovered, at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Spread with sour cream. Top with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomoato and olives. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tiffini said...

Mmmmm - looks good and interesting. Can't wait to try. Glad the cookies were delish!