Friday, June 12, 2009

Getting creative - Mexican Haystacks

As I have said, we just moved and we actually are purchasing our first home. It has been a little bit of an adjustment for us in many ways. I'm attempting to pinch my pennies as much as possible and it's actually helped me get a little creative with my cooking. I'm sure you have heard of Hawaiian haystacks? There are other names for it but I just can't think of them right now. It's pretty much white rice with a chicken gravy with all sorts of different toppings you can mix in. I made a batch of this spanish rice and of course I had tons left over. So, the thought hit me.. Why not make Hawaiian haystacks but with a bit of mexican flare? I was a little worried about how it would turn out because I was literally just throwing things in that I had on hand, but we all loved it! Even my 2 year old ate it all up and asked for more. Best of all? I made it in the crock pot, all I had to do was reheat the left over rice and dinner was ready in minutes. You could also throw this in a tortilla and it would make an awesome burrito. That is whats for lunch today!

HMP_0537
Mexican Haystacks

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can diced green chili's drained
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 can reduced sodium black beans rinsed and drained or 1-1/2 cup prepared dried beans
1 can sliced olives drained
fresh diced tomatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
Hot cooked rice (Either white or this spanish rice recipe )
Any other toppings : Avocado, sour cream, lettuce, jalapenos, etc..

Place chicken in crockpot. Add soup, green chili's, cumin and garlic powder. Cook on low for 8 hours. Add in black beans and olives. Heat an additional 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Pour chicken gravy mixture over rice and add your toppings.

No comments: