Friday, September 18, 2009

Skillet Chili Mac with Green Chiles

When I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe it was perfect timing. I needed a recipe using ingredients I already had on hand and I had all of this except for the cilantro. My family isn't a fan of cilantro so I guess that was ok, although I like it. Anyway this... recipe... was... AWESOME! I couldn't stop eating it and it makes so much I literally won't stop eating it for the next few days. :) But I won't mind. My whole family loved it! I will half it next time for sure. I made a few changes when I made it, if you would like the original recipe it's here (I don't like corn mixed into things). :) And if you are thinking it looks like cowboy delight.. it's not.. I hate that stuff. But this... is going on our "make often" list! THANK YOU MELANIE FOR SHARING THIS!

HMP_3987
Skillet Chili Mac with Green Chiles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, minced
3/4 tablespoon chili powder (add more if you want more heat)
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 cups water
8 ounces (2 cups) elbow macaroni
1 4.5-oz can chopped green chiles
2 cups shredded cheese

Heat oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onion, chili powder, coriander, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat or grease. Stir in garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, water, and macaroni. Cover and cook, stirring often and keeping the heat at a steady simmer, until the macaroni is tender, about 12-12 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and green chiles and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top. Cover and let sit off the heat until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Glad you liked this - and you are right, it does feed a crowd! I'm sure it wasn't missing much without the cilantro (my husband is not a fan of it, either but I sneak it in when I can).

By the way, your picture is great!

Jeannie said...

Great looking pics. They are making me hungry!