Monday, June 22, 2009

Taco Burgers

I love Tacos. They are one of my favorite foods actually. I can't get enough of them.. I like them in all forms. Soft tacos, hard tacos, taco salads and yes taco burgers. I usually just use half of the packaged taco seasonings but after I found this recipe on My Kitchen Cafe I had to give it a try. I have to say it was loaded with flavor, but not hard on your tummy like those packets tend to be. Give it a try, it's supper yummy!

HMP_0744
Taco Burgers

For the meat
Heat in a medium skillet over medium heat:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
Add:
3/4 cup chopped onion
C
cook, stirring often, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and add:
1 pound ground beef

Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in:
1 to 3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander (I couldn't find this.. so I made it without and was still good)
Salt to taste (I used about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt)

Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add:
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced fine (I didn't add this either, didn't want too much spice for my toddler)

Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat for 10 minutes.

hamburger buns
shredded cheddar cheese
avocado
tomatoes
shredded lettuce
thousand island dressing

Place some of the meat on the bun and top with any toppings you prefer! Try it with the thousand island, it adds a hint of tang. Enjoy!

No comments: