Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kicking things off with.. Chili

Welcome to my new blog. Things aren't quite set up the way I want right now, but I will work on adding some design elements over time. This blog is designed to help others cook on a budget. I will also try to include recipes that will use up any food storage that you might have. It's important to store, but it's also important to use that storage and keep it rotating. I'm going to kick of my new blog with a great simple recipe for Chili made in the crockpot. I love this recipe because it's fast, I usually have all the ingredients already and I can just throw it in and forget about it until dinner time. I know everyone seems to have a different recipe for chili and this is the one that I use. This recipe includes the use of black beans which are a wonderful bean to cook with. You will find over time that I cook with them often. They are loaded with wonderful nutrients and taste great. They are a good source of fiber, protein, iron, potassium and even a little calcium. I buy a lot of these for storage because if for some reason I am unable to buy any meats in the future these guys can help up my protein intake and basically replace meat, if needs be. Same goes with almost any bean, I just happen to like the black variety. If you are not a fan of black beans you can substitute the can of black beans for an additional can of chili beans. I have also included a yummy corn bread recipe. This recipe is a sweeter cornbread and I always make it along with my homemade chili. Enjoy! Nothing like a warm bowl of chili to warm you up during these chilly days.

HMP_7181cropped
Crock Pot Chili (estimated cost about $6.00 without toppings)

1 lb ground beef or you could do Italian sausage or 1/2 lb of both it all tastes good.
1 can diced tomatoes undrained
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1/2 cup onion chopped(I use dehydrated onions.. I hate chopping onions.. I always cry)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 heaping tsp oregano leaves
2 cans chili beans, undrained it is important you do not drain these, they are canned in a sauce that will add additional flavor to your chili. (or substitute 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained for one can of chili)


Brown ground beef in a large skillet, drain. Put beef in crockpot with everything but the beans. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. Add beans and continue to cook on low for another 45 mins. Serve when mixture is completely hot. Serves 6.

Sweet Cornbread
1/2 c melted butter
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c milk
Mix together. (batter will be thin) Bake in a greased 9x13 pan at 375 for 25 mins.

No comments: